httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: call for votes: move code into subdirs before release?
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 01:49:08 GMT
On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> > >We have started down the path of subdirectories within /src with the creation
> > >of /modules, which in my opinion is a Good Thing.  We can complete this path
by
> > >moving all mod_* files to modules/.  We could even go further by moving
> > >HTTP-related code to an http/ directory, and non-protocol-specific code (buff,
> > >alloc, explain, md5, etc) into a core/ subdir.  Do we want to do this before
> > >1.2 release?

Before I respond to the point in general, I might point out there is
only one file that is actually HTTP-related, and that is
http_protocol.c. The other http_* files are so named because Apache
is, after all, an HTTP server, and those files have to do with
that. alloc, buff, explain, md5, etc, don't have a http_ in front of
them because they have nothing to do with Apache whatsoever, really
(except that they do).

> I'd expect the opposite, actually.  Sure, you'd have to do a "grep */*.c"
> instead of "grep *.c" when you're looking for something, but that's not that
> much harder, is it?  The only impact I'd expect is that "ls" output would be
> easier to swallow visually, and *maybe* a better way to support other protocols
> if we desire.

This is the only benefit I can see as well. There are problems,
though, in that it does make things harder to place. If I'm installing
a new module, a third-party one, does it go into the modules/
subdirectory or into the main directory? Either way, people used to
earlier versions are going to be confused. There are compile-time
dependencies to deal with as well, such as where do all the include
files go, and how are they referenced?

A month from last Friday will be the anniversary of the release of
Apache 1.0.0 (I know this date only because it's also my birthday),
and I would really like to have 1.2b1 out by that point. I would
really like to see a feature/manipluation freeze, fix all the known
bugs (and there are a few that are known and somewhat major), do the
release notes (which I've been meaning to work on), and ship this
puppy.

Remember, 1.2.0 was origionally supposed to be done by the end of
July. It was an interim release so we could get little things done and
release a server before working on 2.0.

Enough already.