httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Don't know other ways (fwd)
Date Mon, 25 Nov 1996 18:25:59 GMT
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 rasmus@mail1.bellglobal.com wrote:
> > Clean HTML can be the source for other document formats, in my opinion.  We
> > just have to avoid using a lot of fancy unportable tags.
>
> But a clean HTML document is SGML.  It would certainly be more convenient to
> have the docs in SGML format.

Let's get our terms straight.  SGML is a document meta-language.  HTML is
defined in a Document Type Definition, written in SGML.  Documents are not "in
SGML format", they are in a document language described by an SGML DTD. By
definition, HTML is an "SGML format".  So, I'm confused - are you saying we
should create our own DTD, and author within that?  I don't see significant
value of that over using a well-defined subset of HTML 2.0 or 3.2 (i.e.
avoiding <FONT>, etc).  If there's a need for richer semantics, we could use
CLASSes on tags, and then apply style sheets to those classes.  The costs in my
opinion of switching to our own DTD would be in reduced access (those who edit
and view the source docs must use SGML tools), having to decide upon a new DTD
(a political/engineering process), and we'd still have to define how the new
DTD maps to PS, LaTex, etc.  All that work has been done for us with HTML.

	Brian