httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: weird crash
Date Sat, 30 Nov 1996 08:56:02 GMT

I assume the target of your compile is the same file that the executable
is running.  On UNIX systems that dynamically page executables from the
file system (all BSD and SVR4 based), when you copy new data over a
running executable and some gets paged in wierd things will happen.  You
can protect against this by either doing an "mv httpd httpd-" or even an
"rm httpd" before writing out the executable.

Why does this happen only sometimes?  Well if you are lucky enough not to
have to dynamically page anything in before you restart the program, you
will see no problem.

HTTPD is not alone, you can do the same thing to most any daemon that
pages by doing a "cp"  atop a running executable.  A "mv" will not do it
since under the hood a "mv" does a logical "rm" before messing with
anything.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick, Technical Consultant