httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremie Miller <jmil...@subcellar.mwci.net>
Subject Re: outstanding issues for 1.2 code freeze.
Date Tue, 05 Nov 1996 06:18:03 GMT
OK, after a glance at HTTP/1.1, focusing on the Vary parts and the statement:

	"An HTTP/1.1 server MUST include an appropriate Vary header field with
	any cachable response that is subject to server-driven negotiation."

Unless I am missing something, three things need to be answered first,
"appropriate Vary header field", "cachable response", and "subject to
server-driven negotiation".

I am no expert, but these are my first reactions:

	"appropriate Vary header field"
All of the headers that in _any_ way played a part in determining the data
being returned.

	"cachable response"
Any response that would be identical to another response(as far as the
server knows at least).

	"subject to server-driven negotiation"
I would suppose this is any response that may be different based on any
headers in the request(or network address).

Unless I am missing something, this would include Host: Referrer:
the VirtualHost code needs to return a Vary: (because of the Host:) as well
as any other code that uses any of the headers?  And for non-header based
negotiation (allow/deny) it would return a Vary: *?

There should probably be a better way to handle Vary for the core code
and for the modules.

Mabye I am just tired...

Jeremie Miller
jmiller@mwci.net