httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/htdocs/manual new_features_1_2.html
Date Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:57:16 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> >   Numerous HTML cockups and broken links.
>
> No... they weren't broken links. They were nonexistant links. *Now*
> they're broken links. See, I used <a name> to indicate that the file
> didn't exist, but that I wanted it to exist. <a href> means that a link
> actually appears, and if you click on it, you get an error. So it's
> not a cockup.

Well, OK. The snag is that this was not documented ;-) and not actually the
way it was - some of them did exist. I think! Certainly some of the links were
broken.

Anyway, I'd say it was better to indicate its nonexistence by pointing at it
and letting people discover it doesn't exist by clicking.

> Just to clarify. I do know (sorta) how to code HTML :)

Of course, if we used SGML you could invent a proper tag for this purpose.

Cheers,

Ben.