httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Korthof" ...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Proxy patch - Attempt #2
Date Wed, 20 Nov 1996 00:46:17 GMT
On Nov 18, 10:40am, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Subject: Re: Proxy patch - Attempt #2
>
> My personal opinion is that it should at least be made a runtime configurable
> option in the proxy, or dropped altogether.  I think that kind of behavior
> prevents opening up of new top-level domains, as well as deprecating the use
of
> .net, .org, .edu, etc.  It's a regressive act in my opinion.
>
> 	Brian

I think it could be useful feature -- but only if it is configurable, perhaps
even with a list of domains to search if .com fails.

The last version I saw didn't appear provide the functionality described -- but
with that functionality, if it is required that the host have only one 'part'
(ie. no periods, so it couldn't look like xxxx.yyyy), then there is no problem
with adding new top-level domains (there should never be top level domains
which are also specific sites).  Also, by the description and the code that I
saw -- the extra domains will only be tried if the first attempt fails, no?

Ed Korthof
ed@organic.com