httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: PTS
Date Tue, 19 Nov 1996 03:08:33 GMT
>> Holy Cow!  That's almost exactly what I designed in my research notes
>> (my research group at UCI was going to implement such a system last year,
>> but we got sidetracked on other projects and demos).  Its a bit odd that
>> they are using PHP instead of a straight C module, but I'm impressed by
>> the samples.
>
> PHP isn't such a bad choice for something like this.  PHP was designed to
> make database integration simple.  If he were to write it in C, it would
> run as a CGI most likely, and not as a module, and thus be much slower.
> You could argue that he should do it in Perl and use mod_perl instead, or
> write it in C and use FastCGI.  I wouldn't complain about his choice though.
> I am just happy someone is willing to spend some time building a system
> like this.  It is a bit rough at the moment, but hopefully with a bit of
> constructive criticism a useful tool can come out of it.

Actually, after sending the above I decided to investigate PHP and its
advantages for such a system, surfing until the wee hours of the morning.
I'm impressed -- I didn't know that PHP had such a nice integration with
mSQL, which explains why it makes perfect sense to use PHP for a problem
tracker.  Hell, if I had PHP two years ago, I probably would have done it
myself.  I am going to try to set it up here on my research server.

.....Roy