httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: mod_usertrack - off by default, or on?
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 02:58:34 GMT
> While it would require folks to add a directive when they upgrade to Apache
> 1.2, I would vote to change the dafault behavior of mod_usertrack such that
> it's off by default. One reason - then we could discuss having it be a part of
> the default configuration, and compiled into the binary releases.

+1 on making it off by default.  -1 on putting it in the default release.

I don't like mod_usertrack, not even remotely, and if it were a new module
I would veto it and place it in the contributed modules section.
I do not believe that the possibility of occasionally tracking a user's
progression through a set of pages for the purpose of measuring improvement
justifies a module which is on even when the administrator isn't actively
tracking users.  To be anything better than abominable, it would have
to disable tracking for all but a small statistical sample of the clients
that access a website and obey the HTTP/1.1 requirements regarding caching
without disabling all caching.

.....Roy