httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "osf/1 virtualhost support by ip broken" on OSF/1
Date Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:20:38 GMT
> I don't like that. If the manual says it returns -1 and the type is an
> unsigned long, then the correct construction is surely:
> (unsigned long)-1
> ~0ul may happen to be the same, but that ain't what the manual says.

Well, my brain says that (unsigned long)-1 is undefined because there is
no definition of -1 in unsigned numbers.  Sure, it may be defined by ANSI,
but I don't have an ANSI brain.  :)  In contrast, ones complement is very
well defined for both signed and unsigned numbers.

I don't care either way, just so long as it works.

View raw message