httpd-dev mailing list archives

From bl...@uiuc.edu (Brandon Long)
Subject Re: adding REMOTE_PORT
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:42:12 GMT
On 11/3, Roy T. Fielding uttered the following other thing:
> Can we make this addition to the standard env set for scripts?
> Our support group has done this here for over a year now, since they
> wanted ident information for their support-request forms.
>
> ......Roy

[http://recycle.cebaf.gov/~doolitt/boa/]
"Preliminary tests show boa is almost twice as fast as Apache, and is
capable of handling 50 hits per second on a 90 MHz Pentium."

Heh.  My tests (graphs at http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~blong/ws2/) showed
Boa to be slightly faster (ie 40 conn/s for Boa, 37 conn/s for Apache)
under static pages, and Apache slightly faster than Boa on dynamic
(ie, CGI) pages (almost negligible) though Apache killed Boa in CGI
throughput (I have no idea why).

Oh, and Apache did much faster than NCSA HTTPd.  Oh well.  Guess that
file descriptor passing thing wasn't a good idea :)

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long         "Investment in reliability increases until it
 MD6 Crash Test Dummy   exceeds the probable cost of errors, or until