httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject More thoughts on env vars and headers
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 09:33:13 GMT
I've been thinking about this some more, and realised that we're missing a
trick here. We match headers to set env vars. Then what do we do? Modify
all sorts of things to match env vars to set options. This is silly! The cool
thing to do is:

<Header User-Agent ^/Mozilla[12]>
SetEnv tables=yes

<Header User-Agent ^DumbRobot>
deny from all

Then, not only can we set _all_ per-dir options based on incoming headers, but
we can also do the Vary right! And also we get rid of the slightly awkward
"internal" env vars.

One slight snag (not insurmountable, I feel) is that the <Headers ...> need
to be nestable in <Directory/Files/Location ...>, I think.

Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
Technical Director        URL:
A.L. Digital Ltd,         Apache Group member (