httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Putting the date into the referer log.
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 08:44:07 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > I agree about being careful here, but I think there is a case for adding a
> > directive to set an env var based on artibrary headers, a generic form of
> > BrowserMatch. The generic functionality will be useful with far more than
> > just config logs.
>
> I like this.  Generalization is almost always a good thing.  :)
> I could easily see
>
>   HeaderMatch User-Agent /^Mozilla/ netscape=yes
>
> or whatever instead of
>
>   BrowserMatch /^Mozilla/ netscape=yes
>
> The next question is, do we need access to other types of info, such as
> remote_host?  Paul needs it for his host-based logging.  What else would really
> be needed?  Request time?
>
> Anyways, if other folks think this at least the first option is a good idea, we
> should move soon, before "BrowserMatch" becomes something we need to
> backwards-support.

Sounds like a very sensible idea. Can I reiterate at this point that incoming
header matches need to be done _before_ any of the other module hooks? So, we
need a new hook. This is what is preventing me from rationalising the access
controls based on user agent.

Also, to support this syntax, we're gonna need an ITERATE3....

Cheers,

Ben.