httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject adding REMOTE_PORT
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 01:56:43 GMT
Can we make this addition to the standard env set for scripts?
Our support group has done this here for over a year now, since they
wanted ident information for their support-request forms.

------- Forwarded Message

From: Larry Doolittle <>
Subject: web servers and rfc931
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:16:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc:, Larry Doolittle <>

Hi -

I work on a competetive web server, the GPL'd Boa
Maybe you will be willing to offer advice, anyway.
(my co-maintainer,, seems
to have fallen off the end of the net).

I was trying to make ident (a.k.a. rfc931) available
for CGI programs, without waiting for ident responses
in general.  The way I succeeded was to create a
REMOTE_PORT env variable, that the CGI program can
then use if it wants to perform an ident request.
In a perl script, this comes out

  $a="/usr/local/bin/idlookup ".

I know people resist polluting name spaces, but this
seems like a natural addition to the CGI specified
environment.  Does it seem sensible to you?

     - Larry Doolittle

------- End of Forwarded Message

View raw message