httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: 1.2b1 status
Date Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:18:24 GMT
Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> writes:

> I was unclear. The first confusing was not to us, but to "the
> people". If we use the 1.2b1 name for our internal release, it's "used
> up", and we can't use it for the public release (unless you want to
> *really* confuse everyone, especially us). And if the first public
> release is called "1.2b2" or somesuch, that just confuses
> people. They'll want to know what happened to 1.2b1.

Beta testers don't care about this It's common that not all test
releases get made available to all people, I don't think this is worth
worrying about.

> Depends on the purpose of the build. Us as developers have no real
> reason to build a package, except to test it. As release managers, we
> have a real reason to build a package: to distribute it as a product,
> in this case the Apache HTTP Server. I would be perfectly happy if
> this internal release stays as 1.2-dev for a version number, as long
> as we all know what's going on.

If we're not planning on actually releasing it then I don't see any
point in bumping the number. There should be a cvs tag applied before
that happens anyway.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155