httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Documentation standards
Date Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:51:06 GMT
Paul Sutton <paul@ukweb.com> writes:

> No, I was suggesting a separate directory for the 'what's new' section of
> each release. We are planning to distribute this historical information
> with the release anyway (at least, I hope that is the plan since it is
> pretty useful), so this is purely an issue of where we put the files.  At
> the moment, all the what's new information from 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 lives in
> the same directory.

There are the new_features files which may become a problem with lots
of releases but not worth worrying about now.

> As an example of why this is a bad idea, the what's new for Apache 1.0 has
> a section on content negotiation, which was updated a lot for that
> release. This is in the file 'content-negotiation.html'. I've got a
> document ready to commit all about how content negotiation is updated in
> 1.2, and I've called it content-negotiation.html, since that seems
> logical. But if I commit it, the link from 1.0's What's New will go to the
> 1.2 content-negotiation document. So I could rename mine to (say)
> content-negotiation-1-2.html.  And so on for the other aspects of Apache

You're documentation should not be 1.2 specific. The documentation on
content-negotiation should document content-negotiation for all
versions listing any differences with previous versions. The link
from the 1.0 new_feaures page will still point to this document. That
link just signifies that this feature was added at that time and
*should not* be a link to the version of the documentation that was
available with 1.0. That's not how it's supposed to work.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155