httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: 1.2beta release... Let set a timeline
Date Sat, 16 Nov 1996 09:49:17 GMT
Paul Sutton <paul@ukweb.com> writes:

> But first we need to decide on the directory structure. I think we should
> to arrange it along the lines suggested by Brian a couple of weeks ago. If
> we don't do this we'll never be able to sort out the distinctions between
> the manuals for 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. He suggests making docs/1.2 hold the
> complete docs for 1.2, rather than just the what's new, as it currently
> does.
>
> What could happen is:
>
>   - Move 1.1 docs from docs/*html to docs/1.1
>   - In docs/1.2, move index.html to (say) new.html.
>   - Make sure that new.html is complete and linked to subpages
>   - ** Release 1.2 Beta **
>   - Start copying the 1.1 docs (now in docs/1.1) into docs/1.2, updating
>     them to match 1.2 functionality
>   - ....
>   - When docs/1.2 is fully up-to-date and the beta cycle for the
>     software is finished....
>   - Release 1.2 full

NO.

I explained how this should work some time ago and no-one said a
thing. The cvs repository should not be impacted upon by what you want
to do with the sources. There should be *one* docs directory with all
the docs in it just like for src. Getting old releases out isn't a
problem at all since they'd be tagged at release time and it's a one
off process to install that releases docs into the web area.

Can people comment on this quickly so I can clean things up in cvs.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155