httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject More docs fun....
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:59:28 GMT

Ok, I've committed my merged docs into the htdocs area. There were
nominally four votes for this but 2 of them were conditional on us
agreeing to distribute the docs. The new docs is about 100K so I see
no reason not to. In any case, I can and will remove all these
redundant docs when we have a final decision. For now, please take a
look at the model I've adopted in htdocs. The basic idea is that there
is a *single* set of docs that covers all the servers. I've added
compatibility notes to new directives and modules etc that say things
like "This module is only available in Apache 1.1 and later".

The whole issue of tagging/branching etc is now irrelevant, the docs
evolve as a single entity along with the server source. Putting the
docs onto the web site is simply a question of

cd /docs
cvs export docs

which we can do periodically when we feel there's been some changes
made that should "go live".

I have some notes from my merging activities:

1) AuthDB directives are listed but they don't actually point anywhere
   other than to the AuthDBM file. I haven't fixed this yet.

2) IdentityCheck was in the 1.0 docs, it's still in the current docs
   but has gone missing from the directive listing.

3) The old 1.0 FAQ wasn't merged since the current FAW is an updated
   document although some of the old entries might still be of
   interest.

4) The 1.0 and current mod_userdir docs have a subtle difference that
   I haven't fixed because I don't have time at the moment to go look
   at the source and see if the difference is significant or whether it's
   just a documentation improvement.

5) I haven't updated the mod_mime documentation, there are major
   changes between 1.0 and 1.1 in that area and I haven't got time
   right now to document this area properly.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155