httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Voting meta-discussion (was Re: cvs commit: apache/src
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 20:10:33 GMT
Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com> writes:

> For 2.0 and beyond, I'd like to see the voting used to okay ideas before
> they're committed. There'll be more time to test after comitting than we
> have now for 1.2b1. Voting before 1.2b1 commits focuses everyone on what's
> going in at the last minute. Perhaps when there's more time, we can say
> that voting +1 on a commit means you agree with the idea and are
> willing (or already have) tested it.

I don't really disagree with any of that. I always advocated group
discussion before making significant changes. Of course, what's
significant is somewhat open to opinion and we'll have to think about
that at a later date.

> >This was hardly a free for all. The desire for a satisfy patch has
> >been there all along and all I did was take item no 1 off Rob's todo
> >list and actually do it.
>
> The motivation was good, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Had
> you offered the patch last night, you would not have gained enough support
> to get it committed. It would have saved Roy from undoing it and everyone
> else jumping on your back.

Yeah, Ok. The satisfy patch was rushed, I admitted that in my commit
message but I really didn't want to see the feature freeze go by
without it getting in since I know there are sites that won't use
Apache simply because this feature is missing (we're going to need it
here for a start).

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155