httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Docs
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:17:48 GMT
dgaudet@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet) writes:

> I'm guessing that Paul was headed towards creating three modules, "apache"
> (docs+src), "apache-src" (src only), and "apache-docs".  Or at least...
> that's where I'd head in order to avoid the negative energy of some
> people here :)  In any event, it's not easy to define a module that is
> "the contents of foo minus the subdir bar".  It's easier to have two
> toplevels apache-src and apache-docs then define the module apache to
> contain the two.  Something like this:
>
> apache-docs	apache-docs
> apache-src	apache-src
> apache		apache &apache-src &apache-docs

Or have apache be the top level and have modules src, docs, support
and conf (so far, I could add more). I only ever have src on my local
box and that's enough for development.

> Why would you want to make a release minus the docs?  It looks like
> the docs add 120k to the .tar.gz size in from-cvs.  Why this is an
> issue at all is entirely beyond me, 120k hardly seems worth the
> debates going on.

I think docs *should* be part of the distribution anyway.

Ok, this'll really get people flaming me.

How about putting the documentation into htdocs so that it's there
when people first start up the server?

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155