httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject 1.2b1 status
Date Sun, 24 Nov 1996 20:51:43 GMT

Features:
	-=-=-=-=-=-=
	Sameer has offered a patch to do unbuffered CGI.
	Ben has said he supports the feature.
	Roy has vetoed it for 1.2
	Brian doesn't want it in 1.2 either

	-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

	searching domains

	lots of arguments on both sides. Brian suggests putting it in
	http://www.apache.org/dist/contrib/patches/1.2/   ... seems like
	the only option now.

Bugs:
	-=-=-=-=-=-=

	Charles' Orth (via Roy) has a patch to fix a protocol bug.

	+1 from Roy and Brian

	-=-=-=-=-=-=

	DEC UNIX 3.2, DEC cc  patches for clean compile. From Len Smith via
	Chuck.

	Randy objected to these.

	-=-=-=-=--=-
	The logic of timeouts seems to be somewhat screwed - keepalive
	timeouts may be used at the wrong moments, it seems to me.  [Ben]

	"This should be added to a known_bugs page" [Brian]

	-=-=-==-=-=-

	From: Roy
	The problem is that a request on /dir/ is internally redirected to
	/dir/index.html, which properly results in a 304 Not Modified.  However,
	the r->status is not updated to reflect new->status (and anything else
	that might need to be promoted).

	we're still waiting for someone to speak up on whether it's a
	major problem or not.  I don't know that area of the code well
	enough, though I can't say that promotion of error code from
	sub-redirects has been a problem for me personally.  Again, flag
	it as a known bug is probably the best we can
	do here, unless someone wants to speak up.  [brian]

	-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

	1.2-dev still has this bug in it.  get_client_block needs to
	check for the -1 error case from the call to bread().

	patch offered. positive feedback so far.

	-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

	Roy's claim of CGI schitzo behavior and improper dealing with
	CONTENT_LENGTH.  This is a showstopper in my opinion until more
	voices are heard.

	Roy offers 2 options:
	  a) Assume it is only for old scripts.  This requires changing mod_cgi
	    so that it rejects anything without a Content-Length (411 Length
	    Required) even if it is chunked, or at least anything that cannot
            be read into a single buffer before execing the script.

          b) Assume it is for new scripts and that old scripts will just never
	    see the HTTP/1.1 input (after all, no sane client would chunk an
	    x-www-url-encoded form).  This requires changing get_client_block
	    so that it passes the chunk size and footer to the script.

	Jim voted for (b)
	Ed  voted for (a)

	Alexei says it's supposed to be this way.

	+ other comments.

	Roy has offered a patch.
	Ben thinks there might be something wrong with it, Roy offered
	a fix.
	+1 from Randy & Brian

Showstoppers (perhaps):

	?  get_client_block needs to check for the -1  (sounds nasty)

	CGI dealing & CONTENT_LENGTH

	Charles' Orth's protocol bug (Roy say "critical protocol bug" which
	I've translated to "showstopper")

TODO:

	now
		Prepare more documentation.
		Resolve all outstanding bugs (see above).
	Nov 24	Create last pre-beta tarball (Randy?)
		Test, test, test.
		Report back with positive as well as negative comments.
	Nov 30	Create 1.2b1 tarball.
	  "	Update CVS to reflect 1.2b1 release.
	Dec  1  Release 1.2b1.
	  "	Put documentation online if there is any.
	  "	Hand 1.2 management over.