httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: searching domains (fwd)
Date Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:53:17 GMT
rasmus@mail1.bellglobal.com wrote:

>> 1) This can't work 100% of the time, so what do we save in complaints?
>>    Users will still complain to admins that their setup doesn't work, and
>>    admins who turn this on who aren't savvy write bug reports that the
>>    proxy isn't resolving names.
>
>That isn't the point.  The point is that many users have become accustomed
>to the "ibm" -> "www.ibm.com" translation done by Netscape.  For these people,
>it will work 100% of the time.

100% ?

When I worked at Los Alamos, I got used to typing in "xxx" to access
xxx.lanl.gov from local machines.  When I got home, I typed in "xxx" and
got an "adult" site - www.xxx.com (took me all night to be sure there was
no phsyics there ;-)

there's a bit of dice throwing in this algorithm.

+0  - it's not 100% reliable but it is cute when it works.