httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src mod_rewrite.h Makefile.tmpl (fwd)
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:57:35 GMT
Paul Richards wrote:

> I've always been against voting. This is the only project I've ever
> been involved in that has these procedures and Apache is a lot simpler
> than most of them. Using cvs the way we have been has accelerated
> progress considerably. I don't see that we've got a less stable product
> as a result. Has anyone got any evidence to the contrary? Allowing one
> person a veto is just stupid. When most of the group are thinking one
> way why should a single individual be allowed to prevent something
> happening.

I think the bug advantage of voting is that it basically forces
people to be aware what is going on. By forcing people to vote,
you are hopefully more assured of more eyes looking at the code.
It also helps that everyone is at the same level... Right now
stuff is being added that most people really aren't even aware of.
Minor typos don't require votes, but more substantial changes or
additions should, esp since we do not have one particular person
in the driver's seat. Right now, everyone with commit priv's
basically does what they want... after awhile, the code will be
a hodge-podge of code and styles that no-one will know in-depth
enough to do any good.

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"