httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: cookie blahs
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 02:28:57 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
>> >This isn't really related to apache... I just wanted to send it to a
>> >bunch of people with-clue and related interests.  Dunno how many of
>> >you have to deal with irate users complaining about tracking cookies.
>> >At any rate I wouldn't mind comments on some stuff I spouted at
>> ><>.
>Great document, Dean.  It's very clear.  Is this a permanent URL?  Can/should
>we link to it from apache pages?
>> Is there any mileage in making mod_cookies^H^H^H^H^Husertrack only
>> kick in when it sees a Referer from outside ? it would reduce the
>> annoyance factor.
>I think putting a <Files *.html> CookieEnable On </Files> section in the
>default config files should be enough.  In fact, it should look like this:
>   <IfMod usertrack_module>
>   CookieEnable Off
>   <Files *.html>
>   CookieEnable On
>   </Files>
>   </IfMod>

CookieTracking On/Off    might be less ambiguous.

>Actually I'd like to do a lot with the default config files before release.
>Like, make them one config file, for starters.

Anyone who needs to mirror www sites should consider doing this. Dump
all your common stuff into one of the 3 conf files and use one of the
other two to set local defaults.

BTW, anyone with CVS privs should not feel obliged to ask for permission
to commit a bug fix with 3 x +1. Just go for it. Features are another
story after the freeze :-)

View raw message