httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: cookie blahs
Date Sun, 17 Nov 1996 01:41:43 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

>This isn't really related to apache... I just wanted to send it to a
>bunch of people with-clue and related interests.  Dunno how many of
>you have to deal with irate users complaining about tracking cookies.
>At any rate I wouldn't mind comments on some stuff I spouted at
><http://www.hotwired.com/staff/dgaudet/cookies.html>.

Is there any mileage in making mod_cookies^H^H^H^H^Husertrack only
kick in when it sees a Referer from outside ? it would reduce the
annoyance factor.

For the movie database I have to manually inspect several hundred URLs
a week for content (Netscape remote control - god bless you :-). The
pesky tracking cookies are a real pain, I have to accept them.  Fortunately,
chmod 444 ~/.netscape/cookies  stops anyone keeping tabs on me from
one day to the next >:-)

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/