httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: 1.2beta release... Let set a timeline
Date Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:49:29 GMT
Paul Richards wrote:

> Paul Sutton <paul@ukweb.com> writes:
>
> > But first we need to decide on the directory structure. I think we should
> > to arrange it along the lines suggested by Brian a couple of weeks ago. If
> > we don't do this we'll never be able to sort out the distinctions between
> > the manuals for 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. He suggests making docs/1.2 hold the
> > complete docs for 1.2, rather than just the what's new, as it currently
> > does.
> >
> > What could happen is:
> >
> >   - Move 1.1 docs from docs/*html to docs/1.1
> >   - In docs/1.2, move index.html to (say) new.html.
> >   - Make sure that new.html is complete and linked to subpages
> >   - ** Release 1.2 Beta **
> >   - Start copying the 1.1 docs (now in docs/1.1) into docs/1.2, updating
> >     them to match 1.2 functionality
> >   - ....
> >   - When docs/1.2 is fully up-to-date and the beta cycle for the
> >     software is finished....
> >   - Release 1.2 full
>
> I explained how this should work some time ago and no-one said a
> thing. The cvs repository should not be impacted upon by what you want
> to do with the sources. There should be *one* docs directory with all
> the docs in it just like for src. Getting old releases out isn't a
> problem at all since they'd be tagged at release time and it's a one
> off process to install that releases docs into the web area.
>
> Can people comment on this quickly so I can clean things up in cvs.

I still would have prefered the docs in the CVS tree with the source,
but that's water under the bridge now. In any case, I don't think we
should have sep subdirs in the docs tree for each release, since,
after all, we don't have ./src/1.1, ./src/1.1.1, ./src/1.2 ,etc...

I think we should have all the docs in one directory, with subdirs
only when it make sense, like with ./docs/modules and/or
./docs/helpers. to "map" what the source tree looks like.

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"