httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: proxy not sending "Via:" header..?
Date Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:35:22 GMT
I've not done this for the privacy reason. The User-Agent: approach is
deprecated. I'll have to ask for opinions on whether to put Via:
header in, though. My thought has been to be as transparent as possible
with the proxy. HTTP 1.1 no doubt has something to say about this.

BTW, it doesn't look like Squid does a Via: either from the report RobH
got recently.

Brian Behlendorf liltingly intones:

> My understanding, perhaps incorrect, was that proxy servers should send a Via:
> header when they relay a request, i.e.
>
> Via: Apache/1.2
>
> or something like that, other than the conventional way which is to tack it
> onto the User-Agent header.  Apache doesn't seem to do that; which worries me,
> as apparently there's nothing in proxy requests which distinguish them from
> direct connections, and thus any attempt I as a server maintainer or statistics
> gatherer might try to do to tell how many requests are coming to me via a proxy
> server are somewhat thwarted.  On the other hand, for privacy or "equality of
> content" reasons it might be best to make the proxy as transparant as
> possible.  Thoughts?
>
> 	Brian
>
> correction: I do see the proxy sending along a "Proxy-Connection:" header as a
> distinguishing characteristic, but not much else.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Heuristics are bug ridden by definition.  If they didn't have bugs,
then they'd be algorithms.