httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Speding up SIGHUP handling in 1.1.1 (fwd)
Date Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:59:18 GMT

Is this true ? I thought it did an ungracefull kill everything and restart.

----- Forwarded message from Rahul Dhesi -----

To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Subject: Speding up SIGHUP handling in 1.1.1
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 07:13:01 -0800
From: Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>

This is not exactly a bug report, but suggestion.

When Apache 1.1.1 is sent SIGHUP, each server process waits to complete
its current transaction before exiting.  If a TCP/IP connection is stuck
or taking very long, that can hold up the server reinitialization for a
long time, during which new incoming requests are not accepted.

So I suggest a new variable ReinitTimeOut that places a limit on how
long in-progress transactions will be permitted to continue after a
SIGHUP has been received.

Then ReinitTimeOut could be short (e.g., 120) while keeping TimeOut
longer (e.g., 1200).  This will keep server reinitialization faster, at
the expense of killing a few transactions that are taking too long.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>

----- End of forwarded message from Rahul Dhesi -----