httpd-dev mailing list archives

From John Heidemann <jo...@ISI.EDU>
Subject Re: potential Apache performance problem: size of the TCP send buffer
Date Tue, 05 Nov 1996 03:48:29 GMT
On Tue, 05 Nov 1996 00:53:31 GMT, Rob Hartill wrote:
>So is there a universally useful number we should be using to make sure
>the OS isn't setting it too small ?

Currently the default is that Apache uses whatever the OS defaults to.
If you want to have Apache enforce a value, I recommend 16KB.

This value is conservative in space and should support full transfer
rates 1Mb/s bandwidth at 125ms RTT latency, values that are typical
today.  If you think the net is getting faster, 24KB or 32KB are
reasonable also.  You might want to review the default in a year or
so.

   -John