httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: More thoughts on env vars and headers
Date Tue, 05 Nov 1996 01:32:26 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

>I've been thinking about this some more, and realised that we're missing a
>trick here. We match headers to set env vars. Then what do we do? Modify
>all sorts of things to match env vars to set options. This is silly! The cool
>thing to do is:
>
><Header User-Agent ^/Mozilla[12]>
>NoKeepAlive
>SetEnv tables=yes
></Header>
>
><Header User-Agent ^DumbRobot>
>deny from all
></Header>
>
>Then, not only can we set _all_ per-dir options based on incoming headers, but
>we can also do the Vary right! And also we get rid of the slightly awkward
>"internal" env vars.
>
>One slight snag (not insurmountable, I feel) is that the <Headers ...> need
>to be nestable in <Directory/Files/Location ...>, I think.

This type of flexibility will become more and more useful. Tonight
I could do with a way to block requests that come with a specific
referer header because some chat system user seems to have borrowed
an inline gif from my site that is now being served to folks that aren't
coming to the site.

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/