httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Proxy + virtual-host ==> crash (v.1.1.1) (fwd)
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:02:43 GMT

4 chuck.  !acked.

----- Forwarded message from martin@creative.co.nz -----

From: martin@creative.co.nz
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 15:38:12 +1300
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Proxy + virtual-host ==> crash (v.1.1.1)

Hi, We have installed version 1.1.1 recently and it's doing a wonderful
job.  However I recently tried to configure it to run as a proxy and
it crashed pretty much every time anyone tried to access a document.

I eventually tracked this down in the source code; around about line
1976 in mod_proxy.c, it attempts to make a filename with the proxy
root as its prefix; unfortunately if it's in a virtualhost context,
it doesn't inherit this from the main context, and so conf->root.proxy
is 0 and it crashes.

The immediate workaround is to make sure that the virtualhost section
of the config file has a CacheRoot directive (preferably the same
value as the main one).  A fix to the code is to check that this
value is non-0 and return DECLINED if it is.  A better fix to the
code would be to get the cache.root value from the main context but
I don't have time at the moment to figure out enough of the source
code to do this.

I would be most grateful if someone who knows the code well enough
to understand what I've just suggested could develop a patch for
me - and for the benefit of anyone else who tries to do this.

Thanks in advance
-- Martin
 ?

----- End of forwarded message from martin@creative.co.nz -----