httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: A suggestion
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 01:01:36 GMT
Eric Beyer wrote:

>Recently I had a user come to me about a question of why his background
>sounds did not work for him on the server I run at school. He showed me
>that other servers allowed a background midi file to be played when
>visiting their pages. He used the exact code as those other sites on my
>server running Apache 1.1.1. and it did not work, it would show the midi
>icon and said to double click it to play it. So on further investigation I
>noticed that the server was recognizing the .mid file as a plain text
>entry. To fix this I added an entry like this:
>
>audio/midi                      midi mid
>
>to the mime.types in the conf directory of apache. This now works and I
>thought it might be a good suggestion to submit for you next release's
>mime.types to save other administrators some time trying to figure out ways
>of doing this.

>Thanks for your time.
>Sincerely,
>Eric Beyer
>beyer@cis.nmclites.edu

hi,

If Apache currently makes it difficult to annoy folks with obnoxious
background noise then I'd consider that a plus point. However, I'll pass
your comment on to the developers list to see if there's anyone sympathetic
to your request.

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/