httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: documentation
Date Sat, 02 Nov 1996 14:31:24 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >
> > Hmm..
> >
> > I just noticed that Ben put the docs into apache/manuals. You didn't
> > make this clear, Ben, not at all.
>
> I thought I had made this clear.
>
> > Otherwise I would have put a nice
> > veto on it. We agreed long ago that docs should not be included in the
> > Apache release (at least, not as such), and putting them into the same
> > CVS module just makes it harder on everyone else. It also makes the
> > apache module larger, makes the snapshots larger, and generally makes
> > life inconveneint for those people who don't care about docs, or who
> > have to download the snapshots all the time.
>
> This is true.
>

> > I had thought that Ben was going to create another module in CVS,
> > containing the Apache documentation, which people could check out of
> > they wanted. This, to me, makes sense. I am very much opposed to what
> > was actually done.
>
> Since you feel so strongly about it, I will move it to a seperate module. This
> is certainly more flexible than what I have done, so I can't see why anyone
> should object.
>
> For that reason, I'd be grateful if people would _NOT_ modify the docs until I
> have completed the move (which I am starting right now).
>
> And, no, I haven't got time for all this. Sigh.

I know that I'm too late about this, but my opinion is that the
docs _should_ be in the CVS tree, so that they can be updated
and modified in the same manner as the source itself. For developers
who don't care about docs, well, it might be inconvenient since
it uses some local disk space, but for those who _want_ to work
on them, it makes life much simpler, and I personally think
it's 100% worth it.

No one ever said that the docs would be included in the real release
and if it makes prelim CVS snapshots bigger than so what? If people
make a conscious effort to pull down development CVS snapshots then
that is their choice, but we should not make like difficult for
us to make life easier (by making smaller snapshots) for them.

The docs should be considered as much of the development as the
source itself, if only so we can remember what the heck we did and
what the heck the source is supposed to do. I am a firm believer
in liberal comments in code, as well... But that's another story.

I, for one, appreciate Ben's effort... it's something that I've been
pushing for quite awhile. As far as I can recall, there were numerous
+1s for it too.

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"