httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Hard-coded 150 connection limit not documented " on FreeBSD (fwd)
Date Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:10:23 GMT
On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > Rob Hartill wrote:
> > >

> > > This has become a frequent complaint/request.
> >
> > I haven't quite understood why this limit is hard? Is there any reason not to
> > make it soft?
> I haven't looked too closely at it... I'm guessing that it's only on
> the file-version of the scoreboard that it would be a concern doing
> a "on-the-fly" malloc of the space, and even then it's a simple matter
> of when it's done...

The only reason I can think of why this would be a "feature" is if the
individual responsible for admining the machine (let's call them "root") and
building the software was different from the individual maintaining the config
files (let's call them "www-user"), and "root" didn't want to allow "www-user"
to be able to configure anything which "root" knew would bring the machine to
its knees.

But I'm personally agnostic on whether it's needed or not.

View raw message