httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Possible bugs in current version
Date Tue, 01 Oct 1996 19:33:07 GMT
On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>   Agreed. I think each platform mentioned in Configure should
>   have a default value explicitly set and we then change the
>   default to be what we want (yes/no, either is fine)
>
> Well, what we have now is some hosts having an explicit default to 'no',
> and others relying on the implicit default 'no' --- whereas some hosts,
> perhaps most, want "yes" (because they *don't* have a Posix regex package).
>
> This could be fixed by changing the general default (as I did), or by
> changing the defaults for specific hosts, but it seems to me that *something*
> has to change...

So we have platform settings for

  *-apple-aux3*  (=no)
  *-sgi-irix*    (=yes)

we are missing settings for platforms I consider common:

  *-ibm-aix*
  OS/2
  *-hp-hpux*
  *-linux*
  all bsd variants
  *-next-nextstep*
  *-solaris2*
  *-sunos4*
  *-unixware*

Regardless of which default we choose, we should come up with settings for
these, at least for solaris, sunos, linux, and bsd.  If we come up with those
settings I'm comfortable with the default being "yes".  How does one test a
given platform?

	Brian