httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: URI in type maps?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:12:35 GMT
On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> At the top of a type map one must have a URI - but it seems it can be anything
> at all ... what is it for?

It is (or should be) completely ignored. I'm not entirely sure of the
intent of this line, I would guess it was to supply content information
about the negotiable resource itself, as opposed to the variants. It could
prove useful as a way of suppling (say) cache-control information for the
negotiable resource (e.g. the max-age in the Alternates header of
trans-conneg). A type map without the initial URI: line should be valid.

But I've just noticed that a bug in my mod_negotiation update now means
the initial URI line _isn't_ being ignored (it is treated as a variant).
I'll post a fix tomorrow.

Paul
UK Web Ltd