httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: set/unset Headers
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 07:55:43 GMT
On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
> >I've put together a module which implements header setting/removing.  It
> >is called mod_headers.c, add I've uploaded it by ftp to hyperreal.com in
> >httpd/incoming/mod_headers.c.
>
> >  <Files ~ .*\.gif>
> >  Header set Cache-Control: max-age=84000
> >  </Files>
>
> Is this a better scheme to use than "Expires" ?

It is, I think, used by HTTP/1.1 clients in preference to the Expires:
header. Given that Apache has no other way of setting Cache-Control, this
gives the server admin at least some way of setting this header and making
Apache more usefully 1.1 compliant. The Header command also lets people
use any other headers, even ones defined after HTTP/1.1, or used by HTTP
extensions or private groups.

Paul
UK Web