httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: A related random question
Date Wed, 16 Oct 1996 01:38:57 GMT
On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 sameer@c2.net wrote:

> 	How well documented is that overriding? My feeling is that

Very. At least, it's documented in the <Location> docs.

> intuitively one would think that Directory would override Location, so
> this should be well documented.

No, you wouldn't. At least, I wouldn't. For example, say you have:

<Directory /document/root>
allow from all
deny from none
</Directory>

<Location /status>
SetHandler server-status
deny from all
allow from .my.domain
</Location>

If <Directory> overrid <Location>, then the limit directives in the
<Location> section would never come into play, because the <Directory>
section would override them (the URL path /status does map to
/document/root/status, and so falls into that section). I ran into
this problem when I first did <Location>, so made it override
<Directory>. Perhaps a better way of doing it would be to have it
process all <Directory>, <Location>, and <Files> in the order that
they appear, but this would be very different than what it does now,
and many config files would break.

Anyhow, that's the reasoning.