httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: patch for 100 Continue and other things
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 05:40:19 GMT
On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > Following is a patch that makes Apache send, as per the HTTP/1.1 spec,
> > the new *_client_block routines, so people know what they mean, and
> > renames read_client_block to get_client_block, so older modules will
> > not compile and link (since they break HTTP/1.1 compatibility and
> > don't work anyway, I believe they should be forced to rewrite them -
> > it's easy, anyhow).
>
> Eek.  That's rough.  Is it mandated?  What's the logic behind such an
> incompatible change?  Does it suggest an increase in the API magic number?

It's neccessary, yes. The reason is that, in the past, modules have handled
reading client input by, basically, handling the protocol details
themselves, and just calling an API function to read from the
socket. This should never have been done in the first place, IMHO. All
protocol stuff should be handled by functions in http_protocol.c. This
is a perfect example why: HTTP/1.1 servers are required to handle
chunked input and to send 100 responses. The way the modules were
coded in the past, there was simply no way to do this without
rewriting all the modules. So I did. It's that simple.

And, yes, the patch does increase the API magic number.