httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: more problems with Host:'s
Date Tue, 01 Oct 1996 07:15:08 GMT
On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I think we need to find out why Alexei made that change in the first
> place... is he around somewhere?

Sort of. I just finished reading over 3000 mail messages, and my brain
is fizzled.

The answer to anything dealing with the check_hostalias() code is
usually "Don't ask. It's better you don't know." I rewrote that code
three or four times originally, and it just got worse, as full-URI
checking and ServerAlias and ServerPath and HTTP/1.1-compatibility and
who-knows-what-else was added.

I just keep thinking that life would be so much easier if I had stuck
to my original plan and used a seperate <HostAlias> section, instead
of sticking it onto <VirtualHost> (ever wonder why the function is
called check_hostalias?) Brian talked me into the latter (aha! it's
all his fault,) but I'm not quite sure it was a good idea. Too late
now, though, I suppose.

I'll try to take a better look at all this tomorrow (er... today).

*sigh*