httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Robinson <d...@esi.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "mod_proxy does not close connections" on FreeBSD (fwd)
Date Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:59:59 GMT
On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from newton@atdot.dotat.org -----

> From: newton@atdot.dotat.org
> To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
> Date: Wed Oct 30  2:18:25 1996
> Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "mod_proxy does not close connections" on FreeBSD
>
> Submitter: newton@atdot.dotat.org
> Operating system: FreeBSD, version: 2.2-960801-SNAP
> Version of Apache Used: 1.1.1
> Extra Modules used: mod_proxy
> URL exhibiting problem:
>
> Symptoms:
> --
> When user cancels data transfer in browser which
> is using Apache as a proxy, Apache doesn't
> always close the corresponding proxied
> connection to the remote HTTP server.  Indeed,
> Apache will attempt to continue to download
> data from the URL in question.
>
> This behaviour can be expensive in .au : Many sites
> pay by the megabyte for their Internet connectivity,
> and do not want cancelled data transfers to end
> up on their bills!

I don't recall whether I designed it that way, but this behaviour
is useful for a caching proxy, in that it may increase the cache hit rate.

I'm told that the CERN proxy behaves this way, and that its users rely on
this. A user will connect to proxy and try to access a document from a slow
server. When it is clear that the document will take ages to fetch, the user
disconnects from the proxy, and returns five minutes later in the hope
of finding the document to be now cached by the proxy.

 David.