httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: Long-lived software?
Date Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:19:58 GMT
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Do you think the date parser should check for
>
>       if (LONG_MAX > 2147483647L)
>
> before limiting the year < 2038?  I can do that, but it (and the checking
> of 100 and 400 year leap adjustments) will add overhead which won't be
> used for another 41 years.  Right now, the code just considers any date
> beyond 1/1/2038 to be invalid.  Hmmmm, OTOH, I could add it as an #ifdef.

Add the code, and be sure to add *explicit* instructions for those
compiling apache to be placed in a time capsule should enable the option
:) Apache is not a dedicated application or an operating system and the
protocols are evolving rapidly.  IPV6 and a new version of http will be
here well before 2038 and will most likely both cause a decent ammount of
change to be needed in the server to take advantage of the new stuff. My
opionion on this stuff is comment it, and let it stand.

BTW I am seeing some strange behavior in virtual hosts when the browser
does not have a host header.  I'm trying to track it down but it looks
like it may have something to do with CNAME's.  I wish I had a good
debugger.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick, Technical Consultant