httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: A complaint
Date Tue, 22 Oct 1996 05:09:44 GMT
> I was just playing with the latest 1.2-dev, and I notice that Roy's
> new error-code code has taken Apache one step backwards: Namely, that
> we've apparently reverted to putting the status code in the HTML that
> we send by default. I most certainly do not want to see "404 File Not
> Found" as the title of error message. The browser may care, but the
> user most certainly does not. The "File Not Found" we've used for
> Apache since 0.8 is much better (the same applies to all the other
> codes).

I mentioned that when I showed the patch to the list, and I do prefer
to see the status code in the response since the reason-phrase is not
a reliable indicator of the status (i.e., an Apache server in France is
likely to change it).

Perhaps it would be better if the TITLE contained the status code and
the H1 did not.

.....Roy