httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: BrowserMatch and access
Date Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:02:54 GMT
Dirk.vanGulik wrote:

> > From owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com Sat Oct 19 13:10:56 1996
> > Subject: BrowserMatch and access
> > Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:09:28 +0100 (BST)
> > From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
> >
> > If access is to check for BrowserMatch env vars, then mod_browser must do its
> > thing considerably earlier than it currently does. The obvious place to do it
> > is in the filename translation phase, which occurs first. More correct would
> > be to add a pre-translation phase (perhaps specifically for any incoming header
> > processing). Thoughts?
>
> My take on this was to add a pre-request to our installation; which gives any
> module the chance to add a list of possible 'virtual' file names they are willing
> to handle; including q factors. These are then 'walked' through in the normal filename
> walkers. Perhaps this should be generalized; i.e. the walkers as well so that modules
> can opt to handle a certain set of virtual files with given weights. It would fit
> in nicely with the lang. negot.

Errr ... pre-request? Nice concept - useful for mod_telepathy.c! ;-)

But what you are suggesting sounds rather different to what I need. You seem
to be elaborting the name translation phase, but I want something that comes
before the access check phases - which occurs just after name translation. I
could hijack name translation but that would not be strictly correct.