httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: indent
Date Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:56:48 GMT
>   Making this change as one commit is essential and that means your
>   proposal isn't viable since at this point too many people have
>   work-in-progress that would get badly messed up.
>
> Seconded.  As I have already mentioned, I am one of the people in this
> position, and for Roy to implement his proposal now would be a *serious*
> hardship.

I doubt it, seeing as I'd be doing all the work. But I won't press the issue.

Be warned though -- the next time I try to figure out what a messy module
is doing, I'll reformat it and commit it first and ask questions later.
The only difference is that people won't be prepared for it.  One way or
the other, the code needs to be cleaned.  Right now it is a cause for
embarrassment, both in public comments on newsgroups and in private
communication with my SE colleagues, and I see nothing to indicate that
it will improve without concerted effort.  I won't complain unless I'm
willing to do the work, but the status quo sucks and waiting until the
next release to fix it is the same thing that was said about the last
release, and the one before that, and the one before that, ..., since
the first day we inherited RobM's code (of which he already knew was
in dire need of a cleanup).

.....Roy