httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Another API change?
Date Wed, 09 Oct 1996 15:56:54 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

>   I'm OK with that so long as the discussed API changes (and any other agreed but
>   outstanding changes) are not excluded by the freeze. That is, I still get to
>   make them, even if it isn't by tomorrow.
>
> In other words, you're OK with a freeze so long as the code isn't
> actually frozen?

No. That isn't what I said, and does not express it "in other words". There are
things in the pipeline which are not bug fixes, but haven't been committed.
I'll agree that the API changes do not truly fall into that class, but I
believe there are others (for example, using BrowserMatch for deny).

If such a short timescale for a freeze is to be acceptable, it mustn't exclude
changes upon which we already have consensus.

In the light of various comments, I'll back down on the API changes I
suggested. I'm not sure about the status of the other two, though.

It would be good if we could at least agree on and document how API extensions
are to be managed so we could introduce API changes into, say, 1.2.1 without
breaking 1.2.0-based modules. Or 1.3 if that is deemed necessary.

Cheers,

Ben.