httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject indent
Date Wed, 09 Oct 1996 01:58:30 GMT
> Oh yeah... does the current source "agree" with that (ie: is the
> current CVS tree code pre-indented)? If not, then now might NOT
> be a good time to start changing it to reflect it; I've seen
> many a code mangled via (GNU)indent. That is, unless we want to
> hold off the beta-release until we know that the indentification
> worked OK :)

I have never seen code break from being indent-ified -- the only thing
I've seen happen is the comments get messed up.  In any case, it is
now or never -- it has to be done near the beginning of a public
release cycle when we are focusing on bugfixes and not on larger
enhancements, and when non-CVS people are not submitting patches
based on the old code style (or lack of it), and when we still have
a chance to fix any problems before the final release.

After going through the code for the httpd -h thing, I consider this
to be critical.  The code as it currently stands is unreadable and
unmaintainable, which is a major reason for the increase in bugs.

On the other hand, I don't intend to do it all at once either -- indent'ing
is something that gets done one file at a time, and it will take a
couple iterations to get the profile right (what I committed was just
those options that we agreed on -- there are many others which may
require tuning to get right).  However, I think it can be accomplished
before the current buglist gets closed-out (and it won't hurt any more
than the current situation if we publish the first beta with only a
portion if the code indent'ed).

.....Roy