httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Brandon Long)
Subject Re: add perm redirect, NCSA compatible
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 15:37:57 GMT
On 10/8, Paul Sutton uttered the following other thing:
> The patch below adds NCSA-style RedirectPermanent and RedirectTemp
> directives, to return 302 and 301 statuses. It could easily be extended to
> handle a directive to return 303 (See Other), or even - with a special
> case check to not return Location - 410 (Gone) status. Incidently, the
> text associated with 302 is still "Found", which should probably be
> changed to "Redirect Temporarily" to match HTTP/1.1.
> Incidently I added the new directives because they are NCSA-compatible.
> However I would prefer to use an optional argument to Redirect
> to give the status - this also makes it extensible if any other return
> statuses are added in the future, eg
>   Redirect /path
>   Redirect Temporary /path
>   Redirect Permanent /path
>   Redirect SeeOther /path
>   Redirect 301 /path

It might be worth just allowing the user to specify status code for
a particular document (assuming that apache would then provide an
appropriate document or error message for the return type).

Return 410 /path

Or, I guess it could be in a <Location> or <Directory> directive.

 Brandon Long         "Investment in reliability increases until it
 MD6 Crash Test Dummy   exceeds the probable cost of errors, or until
 Intel Corp, Oregon      someone insists on getting some useful work done."
          I'm too low on the totem pole to speak for Intel.

View raw message