httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Patch to mod_auth_msql.c
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 07:23:33 GMT

> On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:
> > I'll upload a full patch later; let me know if you have any
> > thoughds.
> >
> > ----- Begin Included Message -----
> >
> > Dirk,
> >
> > I made an upgrade to the mod_auth_msql.c file that you wrote to allow
> > support for connecting to non-standard Unix/TCP mSQL ports.  This will
> > allow servers that run multiple mSQL daemons to utilize the mod_auth_msql
> > module for connecting to databases on other ports.
>
> I like it in theory, but I don't have enough functioning experience with it to
> comment on the quality of the code.

Ok, as for this particular one; it is of little use to mSQL; as it does *not*
allow one to have multiple port/device connects for *one* server; the mSQL
library reads & uses the first specified and ignores it from there onwards.

The same effect (which is well documented with mSQL) can be had by setting some
ENV variables. Therefore I would opt for *NOT* adding this 'fluff' functionality.
I've added some comments to this effect to the documentation.

> Hmm, since the collective experience in this group with databases and such is
> somewhat low, would it make sense to split off a separate discussion forum,
> one perhaps a bit more public, to deal with Apache-database integration?  A

Is a good idea; currently I deal with most of the reports and questions on a
private basis; and giving it a broader platform would be a *very* good thing.

> place for discussion about modules which implement connections to databases and
> resulting interfaces for interpreted-language modules (everything from
> mod_perl, mod_python, mod_tcl, mod_cgi maybe, mod_include maybe)?  Or does
> something like this exist?  This is not to say I don't think database
> connectivity issues don't belong in the core of Apache; not at all.  I just

I agree; and having a *separate* contrib/auth directory for all alternative
i.e. NOT basic-auth stuff, would be a good idea IMHO. This keeps the core
clean and makes it a very consious choise for a site maintainer to opt for
a non-BasicAuth access controll system.

> would like to see more discussion on database integration issues amongst those
> with experience and time on their hands to code.  Thoughts?

As a rough estimate; I get about 5-15 emails a day on database and auth control;
most are related to some Sybase/Oracle software I wrote; mSQL is second (and in
particular the 'do I need to be root to run it one FAQ) followed by mod_auth_nis,cookie
and the occasional dbm.

The foremost second question is doubltessly where do I go to learn Perl, SQL and
forms.

Most questions come from people who do really *N*O*T* need a database at all but come
from the PC/NT world and really cannot get that a /etc/passwd kind a file really is
a data-base and is fast/effective for most purposes :-). That is why I would second
a _separate_ directory for all mod_auth_*.c stuff.

Thinks to do (and I am willing to maintain such a list)

	alternative-auth-list
	alternative-auth-contrib-directory
	more examples on how to fill/read/query those databases from forms/perl.

Any more thouhgds ?

Dw.