httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Things to do for 1.2beta release
Date Wed, 02 Oct 1996 01:24:50 GMT
> Features:
>   I think it's time for a Feature Freeze (tm) for 1.2... Votes?

I would still like a couple features, but don't have the time to
code them myself.  These are easy additions for people who are used
to working on these parts of the server:

  1) The ability to set the Cache-Control header by directory/location/file
     This could be done like mod_expires, but we may be better served by
     a general directive, a la

         HeaderSet <field-name> <field-content...>
         HeaderAppend <field-name> <field-content...>
         HeaderRemove <field-name>

     as an alternative to the cern_meta mechanism.

  2) The ability to send 410 Gone via mod_rewrite or mod_alias.
     It is just another form of redirect.  Actually, I would prefer
     that mod_rewrite be able to send *any* status code by internal
     redirection to the response content and a [nnn] at the end of
     the rule indicating the final status.

These fall under the category of "why HTTP/1.1 is better than HTTP/1.0"
and thus would be big selling points.

.....Roy