httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Smith <...@cursci.co.uk>
Subject Weird Solaris stuff
Date Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:22:37 GMT
I've just been spending most of today trying to work out why it is that
a few people scattered about on the net can't connect to our web server
(though they don't seem to have the problem with anybody else). I've
tried different operating systems and different web servers; the problem
appears with solaris 2.5 (with TCP patches) but not with linux or IRIX.
It appears with both apache and Netscape servers (relief).

I managed to get a log-on to an affected machine, to do some remote
requests.  While the server thinks it completes the transaction
successfully, the client can only grab very small files.  I found that I
can get a file 365 bytes long but not 366 bytes long (in this case I
just get a Connection closed error).  This is reproducable.  I've got
some TCP traces via the sun "snoop" program, which is a bit over my head
but the size of the big data packet goes up from 590 to 591 bytes.

Has anybody else had a similar experience, or any idea what might be
going on?

Thanks for any help

Michael Smith